[01.org Android-IA] Using Cisco OpenH.264 in AOSP

Christopher Price cprice at mmv.mobi
Wed May 11 13:57:09 PDT 2016

One of my astute colleagues brought up the notion of using OpenH.264 in the AOSP build path.

As you may know, Cisco has published free, Android-compatible H.264 codecs that are optimized across ARM and x86: http://www.openh264.org <http://www.openh264.org/>

The benefit? Cisco has agreed to pay decoder licensing costs to the MPEG LA for anyone that uses OpenH.264.