How to handle pins?

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Fri Apr 23 08:32:02 PDT 2010

Hi Daniel,

> > > I'm not sure if I'm going the right road. What is the great master
> > > plan to handle this?
> >
> > the PIN needs to be handled by the oFono UI. We can not handle this
> > inside ConnMan. Otherwise the ConnMan UI and oFono UI will fight each
> > other and that makes no sense.
>
> Okay, I just expected connman to handle all modem stuff for me internally.

it would do that for you if it could.

Problem really is that ConnMan can't mess around with the telephony
subsystem. The unlock of the PIN is a telephony responsibility. ConnMan
can not interfere here. Reason is that besides 3G data, we will have
real voice telephony in some systems, but in most systems also SMS, USSD
and other network services. ConnMan doesn't handle these and thus it can
also not interfere with the PIN input.

If you write a UI that handles ConnMan and oFono inside the same applet,
then that is a different story. That is up to you to decide, but on a
system level, we have two independent subsystems.

Regards

Marcel