Qestion about Wi-Fi security.

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Thu Feb 2 07:48:20 PST 2012

Hi Samuel,

> > These days, we gonna test Wi-Fi security mode.
> > I was looking at gsupplicant, service.
> >
> > In service-api.txt, ConnMan property provides "psk" only. And based on
> > gsupplicant, ConnMan didn't support "wpa" and "rsn" explicitly.
> >
> > How can I distinguish between WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK correctly with ConnMan?
> ConnMan doesn't export that distinction through D-Bus. This is intentional as
> we didn't see the benefit of telling a user that his AP does wpa2 or wpa. It's
> more confusing than anything else, and from a user point of view, the only
> thing you need to care about is the passphrase.

in addition it is explicit allowed to roam between WPA and WPA2
networks. So any distinction between these two would be a bad idea.

> > Additionally, ConnMan cannot update Wi-Fi security on a run-time basis.
> > I mean ConnMan didn't update Wi-Fi security has changed.
> You mean the service security was not modified when you changed it on the AP ?
> I don't think we ever intended to support that use case. In which situation do
> you see that happening ?

Actually this should work, however if you change the security on your AP
from lets say WPA to WEP, then it becomes a new service. So we can not
tell you that the service has changed. You will see a service going away
and a new coming. For changes from WPA to WPA2 you will see nothing
since for us they are not different anyway.

Regards

Marcel