Connman 1.9 won't attempt connecting to wifi service

Sun Nov 11 22:01:26 PST 2012

Hello Patrik,

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Patrik Flykt
<patrik.flykt at linux.intel.com> wrote:

>         Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 11:38 +0530, Sameer Naik wrote:
>> I noticed that connman had appended
>> a line 'Failure=invalid-key' in the settings file of the saved wifi
>> profile due to which the connection was not happening even after
>> restarting connman multiple times.
>
> ConnMan won't autoconnect to a network that has been marked failed. One
> option is to successfully connect manually for example from the command
> line to get the failure mark removed.
>
>> I had to remove that line for it to
>> start working again.
>
> That works also. In general it is advisable not to edit any files
> in /var/lib/connman/*/* as their format can change without any notice.
>
> Any /var/lib/connman/*.config file is another matter, those are used for
> WiFi provisioning. If you had provisioned the WiFi network, simply
> removing the .config file and adding it back would make ConnMan first to
> remove the failed service and then to recreate a new service for it. The
> new service would not have the baggage of invalid keys failure attached.
>
>> I would have expected that connman would attempt connecting to the
>> service at least once and figure out whether the key was invalid or
>> not and then stop connection attempts to the service if the key was
>> found to be invalid.
>
> Yep, exactly this happened.
>
>> At the moment I don't have an agent registered,
>> so i don't know if there is something more that occurs in this case.
>
> The agent is needed should ConnMan need a passphrase or any other input
> from the user. If everything is preprovisioned
> in /var/lib/connman/*.config files, ConnMan needs nothing from the
> Agent.
>
>> The condition that occured in my case was purely a side effect of
>> being in developer mode. I am not sure if this could occur in
>> production mode.
>
> ConnMan does not know about the product being in developer of production
> mode, thus it thought the invalid key was a valid reason.
>
>> One last thing, Is connman compatible with wpa_supplicant-1.0?
>
> Yes, up and running here at the moment.

I think i found out why connman would not work after upgrading to
wpa_supplicant-1.0. What i noticed is that connections will not happen
if the passphrase is specified in ASCII format. For example i created
a config file named aircrack.conf with the following config.

[service_aircrack]
Type=wifi
Name=aircrack
Passphrase="my psk password"

I put quotes around the passphrase to indicate that is was specified
in ASCII (but i dont think connman cares about the quotes). With this
config, the connection would always fail. So i used wpa_passphrase to
generate coded passphrase and changed the above config to the
following:

[service_aircrack]
Type=wifi
Name=aircrack
Passphrase=025f1e0cf5b394d09c35e8e47c0da00346b8a9a4450d001b7952070f623ad804

After this connman was able to connect to the wifi network. With
wpa-supplicant-0.7.3 i was able to use ASCII passphrases in connman
configs. But after the update it does not seem to work.

I also checked if i was able to specify ASCII passphrases using
wpa_cli (wpa_supplicant was configured to use the file interface) and
ASCII passphrases worked just fine with wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli.

>From the above it looks like connman is not able to work with ASCII
passwords when used with wpa_supplicant-1.0 or i am missing some
configuration.

Regards
~Sameer