Tethering question

Gary Oliver go at aerodesic.com
Fri Sep 6 12:39:10 PDT 2013

I am using connman 1.18 and (upgraded from 1.13) on an Angstrom
(BeagleBone) platform (ARM).

My application needs to be able to switch between tethered wifi (in AP
mode) and connecting to a WIFI access point (never at the same time, of
course.)

In 1.13 it was 'troublesome' getting it to switch, but persistent
attempts would usually succeed.  Switching back to tethered AP mode
always worked.

However, with 1.18, it will initially come up in tethered mode but after
successfully switching to connecting to an access point, it will NOT
switch back.  I've traced it to what appears to be a problem with
deletion of the 'tether' bridge.  It gets deleted and there is nothing
to recreate it.  Setting the Tethering property to True fails because it
cannot find the bridge.

Is this a bug or have I fallen into a new API issue that I'm not
handling correctly?

Just so you know, I'm not doing 'tethering' in actuality.  The device,
in AP mode is a stand-alone device and does not (normally) possess other
outbound networks, either ethernet nor wifi - the 'tether' mode is only
so other portable devices can connect to this stand-alone node.

If I don't find a quick user-mode fix, I'm going to try a patch to
connman to create the bridge (if it doesn't exist) when switching to
tethering mode.

Any other suggestions?

-Gary