[edk2] [RFC] Proposal to add edk2-apps repository

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 06:11:33 PST 2018

On 11/30/18 07:03, Andrew Fish wrote:
> Mike,
>
> As Krishna points out there are flavors of Apps. Do we want to have
> different packages for different flavor of apps, or different dirs in
> a more generic App package? Maybe we should define classes of UEFI
> Applications in the README.md and give them a place to live.

In my opinion, this is absolutely the first step that should be done.

Personally, I've just learned, from this thread, that there are *three*
(not two) UEFI application entry point types that edk2 supports.

* I've always known about main() -- libc app --, and ShellAppMain() --
  shell app. I've always known these because I read about them in
  "AppPkg/ReadMe.txt" and "StdLib/ReadMe.txt" years ago. In particular,
  compare the description of "Hello" and "Main".

* And now MdeModulePkg/Application has been mentioned, in this thread,
  where I see UefiMain() as the entry point.

I don't recall reading about UefiMain() or UefiApplicationEntryPoint on
this list. On the other hand, I remember several discussions where
people asked if they could write an application and invoke it from
SysPrep#### or similar, and the answer has always been, "oh sorry you
can't do that, because the lowest level you can go is ShellAppMain(),
and that won't work from SysPrep####".

Thanks
Laszlo