[edk2] [RFC] Remove unused tool chain configuration in BaseTools/Conf/tools_def.template

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Thu Dec 6 07:42:05 PST 2018

On 12/06/18 15:42, Gao, Liming wrote:
> Hi, all tools_def.template includes all tool chains. Some are not
> used any more. And, there is no verification for them. So, I propose
> to remove them. They are VS2003, VS2005, VS2008, VS2010, DDK3790,
> UNIXGCC, GCC44, GCC45, GCC46, GCC47, ELFGCC, CYGGCC, ICC, ICC11,
> MYTOOLS. If you still use some one of them, please let me know.

I don't know how to reach out to Linux distros (hopefully their
representatives are already subscribed to this list), but we should
really pose this question to them.

Regarding GCC44, that's the compiler in RHEL6, and RHEL6 is not EOL. On
the other hand, I don't see any reason why anyone would prefer RHEL6 to
RHEL7+ (or recent Fedora) for doing upstream edk2 development. (RHEL6
itself does not ship any edk2 firmware platform.)

So, from a Fedora & RHEL perspective, I'm OK with dropping GCC44..GCC47
inclusive (please do keep GCC48). And, outside of the GCC toolchain
family, I'm neutral.

Thanks,
Laszlo