[edk2] Drop CSM support in OvmfPkg?

Ni, Ruiyu ruiyu.ni at intel.com
Mon Dec 17 02:44:30 PST 2018

Yes that was my original thought.

> (2) I'd be definitely unhappy about having to maintain the platform-
> independent CSM components under OvmfPkg (such as
> LegacyBootManagerLib, LegacyBootMaintUiLib, LegacyBiosDxe, VideoDxe).
You are very correct about the scope of CSM components.

> (3) However, David and Kevin had put a *lot* of work into enabling SeaBIOS
> to function as a CSM in combination with OVMF. Today, the CSM target is a
> dedicated / separate "build mode" of SeaBIOS.
I will wait for David and Kevin's comments.

> (4) I also think an open source CSM implementation should exist, just so
> people can study it and experiment with it. The CSM specification (from
> Intel) is a public document, and the edk2 code is the reference
> implementation for it. Killing the reference implementation makes the spec
> mostly useless. Are Intel withdrawing the spec too? (Or has that happened
> already?)
CSM implementation follows the CSM specification. I am not sure if there is
a public spec, an accordingly implementation should exist.
For example, there is a framework HII spec which defines
EFI_FORM_BROWSER_PROTOCOL. But there is no implementation of such
protocol now in edk2 repo, only implementation of
EFI_FORM_BROWSER2_PROTOCOL.

> In short, I think the community would benefit if someone continued to
> maintain the CSM infrastructure in edk2, but personally I won't volunteer. I
> also understand if Intel has no more resources for it.
> Removing CSM from edk2 altogether (including OVMF) might be the natural
> (albeit regrettable) result.

I just see not much benefit of maintaining CSM in edk2 since now major OSVs
don't support CSM boot anymore. Correct me if I am wrong.