[LKP] [patch 1/2 for-4.20] mm, thp: restore node-local hugepage allocations

Michal Hocko mhocko at kernel.org
Wed Dec 5 12:15:28 PST 2018

On Wed 05-12-18 11:24:53, David Rientjes wrote:

> > > The __GFP_THISNODE usage is still confined to
> > > alloc_hugepage_direct_gfpmask() for the thp fault path, we no longer set
> > > it in alloc_pages_vma() as done before the cleanup.
> >
> > Why should be new_page any different?
> >

> To match alloc_new_node_page() which does it correctly and does not change
> the behavior of mbind() that the cleanup did, which used
> alloc_hugepage_vma() to get the __GFP_THISNODE behavior.  If there is a
> reason mbind() is somehow different wrt allocating hugepages locally, I
> think that should be a separate patch, but the goal of this patch is to
> revert all the behavioral change that caused hugepages to be allocated
> remotely.

If the __GFP_THISNODE should be really used then it should be applied to
all other types of pages. Not only THP. And as such done in a separate
patch. Not a part of the revert. The cleanup was meant to unify THP
allocations and that is why I object to reverting it as a part of this
work.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs