[SPDK] Multiple start/stop of reactor and add/remove of bdev

Harris, James R james.r.harris at intel.com
Mon Oct 8 10:00:47 PDT 2018

Hi Shahar,

Can you describe why you require starting/stopping the reactor on demand?

Thanks,

-Jim

On 10/8/18, 1:07 AM, "SPDK on behalf of Shahar Salzman" <spdk-bounces at lists.01.org on behalf of shahar.salzman at kaminario.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    I am now working with my passthrough bdev directly from my application, and require adding/removing them dynamically. In addition, I also require starting/stopping the reactor on demand without tearing down the entire system (e.g. dpdk stays initialized). This mostly works out of the box, but there are a few globals and bdev internal fields which require re-init or tear down.

    In addition, the copy engine did not io_unregister itself, so I also added this in the patchset, allowing me the following application life span:

    - env init (init config, spdk_env_init)

    - reactors init

    - while (application is alive)

      subsystem_init + reactor start

      Do some NVMeF stuff

      subsysem_fini + reactors stop

    - reactors_fini

    - rpc_finish

    I submitted the following patches for review:

    https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/428305

    https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/428304

    https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/428303

    https://review.gerrithub.io/c/spdk/spdk/+/428302